Tooth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures practiced worldwide to get pearly white teeth. Over time, teeth often tend to become discolored and stained due to smoking, the foods we eat, drinking red wine or coffee or due to poor oral hygiene. Whitening teeth not only helps brighten and whiten teeth, but also helps one look younger, boost self-confidence and improve their oral care health care routine. Although there are several ways by which you can make your teeth white, opting for LED teeth whitening by a professional is one of the most effective ways to get rid stains from the teeth and whiten and brighten them. Listed below are the 5 things to know about LED Teeth whitening.
1. What is Led Teeth Whitening?
Led teeth whitening or power whitening or laser whitening is a cosmetic teeth whitening treatment that help whiten and brighten teeth in the most effective way. In this treatment, teeth whitening gel in a specific concentration is applied over the teeth and a blue laser or light is shone over the gel. The wavelength of cold blue light used to activate the gel is around 465 nanometers. The blue light used in the treatment allows better absorption of the bleaching agent and helps activate the bleaching gel and helps whiten teeth quickly and effectively. The dentist applies a protective gel or rubber shield on the gums to prevent the soft tissues from getting irritated by the bleaching agent. The duration of the treatment usually takes about an hour, but can sometimes vary from person to person. The treatment requires the patient to visit the dentist many times. Each visit can last about 40- 50 minutes depending on the concentration of the bleaching gel used or the extent of the stains on the teeth. LED teeth whitening is an expensive treatment. Dentists can charge you about $600 per session with a promise of making your teeth 11 shades lighter. However, the cost can sometimes rise to over $1000.
2. What are the advantages?
Led teeth whitening not only helps whiten and brighten teeth quickly, but also helps get rid of hidden debris between the teeth. The teeth are thoroughly examined by the dentist before the treatment is done. The concentration of the bleaching gel is prepared by the dentist after checking the sensitivity levels of the teeth. Dental problems such as cavities, infected gums, tooth decay or any other condition are treated before performing this cosmetic dental treatment. This can help a patient know more about his existing dental condition and take treatment accordingly. In addition, your dentist may also suggest other teeth whitening methods if LED whitening is not suitable.
3. What are the risks or side effects?
While LED teeth whitening treatment is relatively safe, there are some minor side- effects can occur after the treatment. Common symptoms such as a sore throat, white patches on the gums, sensitivity to hot or cold drinks, tender or inflamed gums may be experienced by the patient after undergoing the treatment. However, these side- effects disappear gradually after the treatment is completed.
4. What are LED Teeth whitening Kits?
LED tooth whitening kits are a great option for all those looking for an easy, convenient and inexpensive way to whiten teeth at home. The kits mimic the technology that many dental offices use and are available in most pharmacies or stores that sell personal or health care supplies. Generally, a LED tooth whitening system includes a tooth tray that will be placed onto your teeth after the solution is put into it and a LED light to accelerate the whitening gel. The gel included in the kit usually, contains carbamide in different concentrations. While those with sensitive gums may require a gel that has 22% carbamide concentration, those who have stained teeth or do not have any sensitivity problems can choose one that has 44% carbamide peroxide concentration. The procedure of using LED teeth whitening kits is quite similar to the procedure done in a dental office. While some kits can take 20 minutes per treatment, there are some that require the users to do two treatments of 15 minutes each. Although using these kits do not have any side -effects, those with sensitive teeth can sometimes experience pain if the gel happens to get on the gums. Take a look at the best Led teeth whitening kits listed below-
- Easy Smile-Kit Tooth Whitening– A very effective at- home teeth whitening system, this kit includes a LED light, 2 mouth trays, 20cc of 35% concentration carbamide gel and 3cc remineralization gel. The system is gentle on teeth and can be used 5- 14 days (15- 30 minutes a day).
- Night Bright LED Teeth Whitening System. Containing an FDA approved LED blue light and a high-quality bleaching gel, this kit promises to make teeth two to eight shades brighter after using it for about seven sessions. The kit comes with 30 applications that can be used for about 10 sessions. The results obtained from this system lasts for about 6- 12 months.
- AuraGlow Teeth Whitening LED Light Kit. Equipped with a built-in timer with beeper to time your treatment sessions, a five bulb led light to give it more power, two syringes, gel that has 35% carbamide peroxide and can be used for 20 or more treatments, this kit is a great solution for those looking to whiten teeth at home. What’s more, this kit includes a one- size fit mouth tray that helps users of different mouth sizes to whiten both bottom and top teeth at the same time.
5. Does LED teeth whitening work?
LED tooth whitening does make your teeth whiter and brighter by a few shades. However, the effectiveness of the treatment can vary depending on various factors such as gel concentration, how the patient’s enamel reacts or responds to the gel, carbamide vs hydrogen peroxide, the extent of tooth discoloration or stains, effectiveness of the equipment and the ability of the dentist.
LED teeth whitening is a great solution for those looking for a brighter smile. However, choosing a qualified and experienced dentist , maintaining good oral hygiene and visiting your regularly for touch ups can play a crucial role in helping the teeth whitening last long, giving you all the reason to show off your pearly whites and smile more.