Receding gums, also known as shrinking gums, is a condition in which the gum tissue surrounding and supporting the teeth start to shrink or pull back. It develops gradually and, in the beginning, will only cause pockets or gaps to form between the teeth and gumline. But these periodontal pockets may deepen and harbor bacteria that eat away more of your gum tissue leaving tooth roots exposed. When left unaddressed, gum recession can eventually lead to tooth loss.
And we have honest reviews to help you choose the best.
Top 5 Best Toothbrushes For Receding Gums Review 2017
If you’re searching for the best electric toothbrush for receding gums, then look no further. We have done the hard work of finding and reviewing the five best models, and compiled a list here. These toothbrushes include the top-rated, best-selling and even expert recommended options.
I’ll be providing you with only the best toothbrushes for receding gums that I have personally tested and I have been fully satisfied with their outstanding results.
So here we go…
From our research, the Philips Sonicare HX6631/30 emerged as the best toothbrush for receding gums. This toothbrush was developed with gum health in mind, as its name suggests.
Its patented sonic technology which delivers 31, 000 brushstrokes a minute allow for extensive cleaning, so you can achieve the healthiest of gums and teeth. The technology ensures that all surfaces of your teeth and the gumline are thoroughly clean and free of bacteria that eat away the gums.
As well incorporating the sonic technology, the manufacturer has designed the brush head in such a way that it removes 6x more plaque than your regular toothbrush while promoting your gum’s health.
And though it’s tough on bacteria and plaque, it still remains gentle on gums and teeth. Its gentle teeth cleaning manner means that it’s also the best option if you’re undergoing dental treatment and have appliances like veneers, crowns, plants, orthodontics or other dental work.
This is the toothbrush you should go for if you want to win your fight against receding gums.
- Unique sonic technology that delivers 31, 000 brush strokes a minute for the best cleaning results
- Removes up to six times more bacterial plaque along the gumline compared to a regular brush
- Proven to improve gum health
- Up to 100% better clean than that of a regular manual toothbrush
- Ergonomic easy-grip handle
- Cup-shaped brush head design allows for an even, yet gentle cleaning
- Reminder signal reminds you when it’s time to do brush head replacement
- Snap-on design makes it easy to switch brush heads
- Quadpacer and Smartimer to ensure you brush adequately and evenly without any risk of harming your teeth or gums
- 3 intensity settings allow for optimal comfort when brushing
- 2-color battery charge indicator
- Long battery life (of 3 weeks)
- Travel case
- Has no pressure sensors, but intensity settings ensue comfortable brushing
This is the best rechargeable electric toothbrush from Oral-B and it’s also their best option for dealing with receding gums. It has got https://www.amazon.com/SmartSeries-Rechargeable-Toothbrush-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B00P0HAS0U?tag=dentalw-20everything you need to deal with your condition.
And many of its features are unmatched. These include its Bluetooth connectivity which allows for communication between the toothbrush and your smartphone. It’s the only model that comes with this feature.
This function will blow your mind and revolutionize your dental care routine as it gives you real-time feedback on your brushing habits. You can use the Oral-B App to get dental care tips as well as motivational messages as you continue cleaning your teeth and improving your gums to treat your receding gums.
Through its professionally-inspired 3D cleaning action you’ll be able to reach all surfaces of your teeth, including those hard-to-reach areas, and clean them thoroughly. The tooth cleaning process is made very easy and convenient by its other great features, which include: pressure sensors, 6 cleaning modes, rechargeable, long lasting battery, waterproofing, indicator bristles, and wireless SmartGuide.
You’ll also find it a great choice if you’re a frequent traveler.
- Very easy to use
- Professionally inspired CrossAction brush head design
- From Oral-B: the No.1 dentists recommended brand
- 3D cleaning capabilities extensively clean the entire mouth, removing up to 100% more plaque
- 6 Cleaning modes
- Pressure sensor
- Timer to stop over-brushing
- Compatible with Oral-B replacement brush heads allowing you to change brush head and enjoy continued effectiveness
- Bluetooth communication between toothbrush and smartphone
- Bonus Oral-B app gives you daily dental/oral care tips
- Long battery life
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Money back guarantee
- The battery takes too long to charge (24 hours)
- It has a blue light that flickers when charging, and this can be annoying for some
The Philips Sonicare HX 9112 is one of those electric toothbrushes that are specifically designed to address the problem of receding gums. It has the potential to transform your brushing experience as well as your gum health.
But what really makes it stand out? Are you asking yourself this very question right now?
Its main stand out feature is the Deep Clean mode. This special function is actually new and allows you to tackle the problem areas of your teeth and gums and stop gum recession. Through this feature, you can deep clean your teeth and gums in a gentle manner without causing any further complications. You’ll be able to conduct the deepest cleaning possible in your mouth, which is critical to enhancing gum health and eliminating this condition.
- Specifically designed to take care of receding gums
- Patented sonic technology from Philips
- Simple and intuitive design
- Removes up to ten times more bacterial plaque than a regular manual toothbrush
- Allows you to tackle trouble spots while still being gentle on gums and teeth (via deep clean mode)
- Offers nine customizable tooth brushing experiences
- AdaptiveClean brush head, which contours and follows your unique shape of teeth and gums to help improve gum health
- Quadpacer interval timer to encourage thorough brushing
- Smartimer to discourage harmful over-brushing
- Long battery life (3 weeks)
- Includes a travel case, 2 hygienic travel caps, and a multi-voltage travel charger for on the go convenience
- Most users say that the battery lasts for about 2 years, so you may need to prepare for a replacement
The Oral-B Pro 1000 is another product from Oral-B, which found a place in our list of the best toothbrush for receding gums.
And there are several reasons why it couldn’t miss being on our list.
Firstly, like other Oral-B toothbrush models, it comes with modern technological features that allow for cleaning of the entire mouth and significant improvements in oral health, including gums.
It utilizes the professionally inspired 3D Cleaning Action technology in which bristles are laid out at a 16 degree angle, allowing them to cover all surfaces of the teeth. Through this technology, the toothbrush is able to reach even those hard-to-reach areas and provide 100% more effectiveness than a manual toothbrush.
Its Cross Action brush head removes 300% more bacterial plaque along the gumline than your regular manual brush. So this is the brush you need to remove all the plaque and bacteria buildup on your gumline and put a stop to gum recession.
- Promotes healthy gums
- Features daily clean mode which thoroughly cleans teeth and gums
- Removes 300% more plaque along the gumline compared to manual toothbrush
- Long battery life (7 days)
- Clinically proven superior teeth cleaning
- Cross Action toothbrush head design with bristles angled at 16 degrees for more effective cleaning
- Utilizes 3D cleaning action involving oscillations, rotations and pulsations of the bristles to remove up to 100% more bacterial plaque
- Pressure sensor to prevent forceful/aggressive brushing
- In-handle timer so you can brush only for the dentist recommended 2 minutes
- Oral-B: the No.1 dentist recommended brand
- Compatible with Oral-B replacement brush heads
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- The battery tends to take too long to charge (up to 12-15 hours), so if it runs out you have to wait for 12 hours to charge
How did the Philips Sonicare HX6921/04 come to be on my list, you wonder? During my research, I contacted and interviewed a number of customers online who had bought and used this electric toothbrush.
All of these current and previous users of the toothbrush echoed something similar
“this toothbrush has helped improve my gum health.”
I went further and acquired the product and tested it personally. And after using the toothbrush for two weeks, I was truly convinced that this product is one of the best electric toothbrushes for gum health available today. I’ll recommend it to anyone who is struggling with receding gums.
It utilizes the unique sonic technology from Philips, which delivers superior cleaning whilst also stimulating gum tissue. Through the use of its Gum Care cleaning mode, you can greatly enhance your gum health in as little as 14 days. You’ll also be able to reduce or even eliminate gum bleeding and inflammations and protect yourself against gum disease.
- Clinically proven to improve gums and oral health in just 2 weeks
- Flexible, superior teeth cleaning
- Panted sonic technology to improve gum health and remove more plaque
- Reduces gum inflammation and protects against gum disease
- 5 brushing modes
- Illuminated display for clarity
- Quadpacer and 2-minute timer
- 3-week battery life
- Travel case for portability
- Doesn’t have pressure sensors
Symptoms of Receding Gums
Gum recession can be identified both by sight and by feeling. Those affected by the problem tend to have a tooth or teeth that are longer than usual. Though this is a normal part of aging in those over 40, people with receding gums tend to notice them much earlier than that. Teeth sensitivity and discomfort is another symptom of this condition and can be identified by feeling the teeth at the gumline. The teeth usually feel notched at the top. Other symptoms that accompany receding gums include: plaque, calcium deposits on teeth, stained teeth, yellow roots, teeth decay, red, puffy or swollen gums, increase in the gaps between teeth, exposed or visible tooth roots, bleeding gums, and bad breath.
Causes of Gum Recession
There are several contributive factors associated with this condition. These include:
1. Poor or inadequate oral/dental hygiene
Failure to commit to a daily oral hygiene routine, which includes brushing at least twice daily and flossing thoroughly once daily, causes bacteria to accumulate at the gumline leading to recession.
2. Improper dental care
Brushing and flossing your teeth daily is not enough. To ensure your teeth are thoroughly clean and keep bacteria at bay, you have to do it correctly. That means cleaning all surfaces of the teeth and to get professional dental cleaning at least every 6 months.
3. Aggressive tooth brushing
Vigorous and/or incorrect brushing can cause teeth to wear down leading to recession. What’s more, when teeth enamel become worn out, it may create spaces between teeth which can harbor bacteria that eat into gums.
4. Gum diseases
Gingivitis and periodontal disease are some of the major causes of receding gums. These conditions are characterized by accumulation or buildup of bacterial plaque, which produce acids that demineralize the tooth and irritate gums causing recession.
5. Teeth misalignment issues
Misaligned or crooked teeth that don’t come together evenly when closing the mouth can put a strain on the teeth, gums and jawbone, and thereby cause recession.
6. Teeth grinding
Like misalignment, frequent grinding or clenching of teeth can put pressure on the teeth and gums and give rise to gum recession.
Consuming tobacco products for a prolonged period of time leads to buildup of tartar, which harms the gums and may contribute to this condition.
8. Problems associated with dental appliances
Faulty or improper fitting dental appliances like crowns, bridgework or dentures can create stress and cause damage to the gumline and contribute to development of receding gums.
Toothbrush For Receding Gums – Buyer’s Guide
When choosing a toothbrush to deal with your receding gums, you should not bother with manual options. This is simply because they won’t be of much help. Electric toothbrushes offer the best option when it comes to treating receding gums. They’ve been clinically proven to improve gums and teeth. And most models come with the soft-bristled brush heads often recommended for people with this condition.
Here are more reasons why you should only consider an electric toothbrush for your receding gums.
Electric Toothbrush Is the Dentist Recommended Choice for Receding Gums
- Electric toothbrushes have been shown to remove up to 100% more bacteria and plaque from teeth compared to manual options. Bacteria and, specifically problems caused by bacterial plaque like gum disease, are the main cause of receding gums. With this type of toothbrush, you can effective remove bacteria and reduce gum inflammation to prevent recession.
- Electric toothbrushes come with a timer, which limits the cleaning period to a specific timeframe – specifically 2 minutes. This ensures that you don’t over-brush, which can harm the gums.
- These toothbrushes come with advanced technologies such as micropulse bristles and more, which allow them to clean teeth thoroughly and quickly. With this type of toothbrush, you can effectively deal with all those dental hygiene related factors that cause receding gums.
- Electric toothbrushes not only feature soft-bristled brush heads, but also come with pressure sensors that prevent you from exerting excessive pressure on teeth and gums – which can exacerbate the problem.
- It is very easy to avoid aggressive brushing with an electric model.
- An electric toothbrush is user-friendly, yet cleans better and more effectively. It also has the ability to massage the gums and improve oral health. This is what you need to address your problem of receding gums!